About Us

OUR STORY

acs3

cropped-Corbett-logo6

We are a registered charity – formed by members of local groups The Archibald Corbett Society and Corbett Residents Association.  The charity was formed to save Torridon Library when Lewisham Council announced that, due to budget cuts, it could no longer keep the Library open.

We opened our doors in October 2016 and since then everything we provide has been entirely staffed by volunteers.  Involving the community in everything we do is central to our mission – as such, many of our volunteers are now trustees and board members.  Find out more about our board of trustees and team here.

 

HOW WE WORK

books-1943625_960_720We are grateful to Lewisham council for continuing to supply and maintain the books, self-service machines, and software needed for our lending Library – as well as transporting stock between libraries so we can continue to share with any library in the London Libraries Consortium.

All our other running costs are our own.  We are funded wholly by donations and the revenue from room hire, second-hand sales and printer services.

 

CORBETT’S LEGACY

Archibald Corbett_4Archibald Cameron Corbett was a Scottish philanthropist and creator of the Corbett estate, that stretched from Hither Green station all the way to Catford.

He bought the land in 1885 to create homes and a community for people served by the new train station at Hither Green.

This estate included the shopping parades, beautiful churches, and our fantastic Library that you see now.

The Library building was funded by Andrew Carnegie and given Grade II listed status in 1995.

Learn more about Archibald Corbett here or see our beautiful film about his life and work here